General Information for Volunteers
Do you need a break from your daily life ? Is it one of your dreams to visit Hawaii? Do you enjoy the ocean and its creatures?
The Dolphin Dreams Images volunteer program is designed to match these desires and assist private individuals from all over the world with the opportunity to "live the dream" by regularly interacting with manta rays, wild dolphins, green sea turtles, humpback whales (seasonal) and a host of other aquatic life forms unique to the Hawaiian Islands.
This is accomplished by working with full-time, published, underwater photo- and videography professionals.
Participants are typically from 25 to 65 years of age. The minimum stay for the volunteer is four weeks, but can be up to eight weeks. We ask that you be available to volunteer 4 days/ week, from 8 to 10 hours/day.
There is no charge for the volunteer program, but there are expenses for scuba classes, housing & food associated with it.
Participation in our volunteer program could easily be one of the most profound, life-changing and rewarding experiences of your life.
Your Responsibilities as a VolunteerYou will be required to assist us in support of recreational level scuba diving activities and snorkeling with the goal of obtaining underwater video and still imagery of marine life, divers and snorkelers.
We want to clarify that although this is "incredibly joyful work", it is a job for us and we are running a production business.
You will be asked to Snorkel and/or Scuba Dive with us and/or provide surface support to us in a collaborative effort to achieve business or community service objectives by engaging in:
Underwater Projects; by:
- Going on trips with us to film manta rays, dolphins, whales (winter season), turtles, and other marine life (scuba diving is optional)
- Transporting cameras for us as needed (underwater and surface)
- Loading and unloading boats with our scuba diving and camera gear
- Verifying tank pressure and gas contents (% O2)
- Setting up scuba gear
- Desalinating photo, video, and scuba equipment
- Leak testing new camera housings
- Providing underwater lighting (where appropriate)
- Acting as a safety diver (optional)
- Preparing and duplicating of DVDs and Online Downloads
- Processing incoming orders for videos, stills etc.
- Maintaining our video and still archives
- Help us to maintain our online store and website
- Charging batteries for cameras and/or lights
Educational & Research:
- Assisting us in identifying and monitoring manta rays and dolphins for our statistics
- Learning about marine life and how to respectfully interact
- Taking part in scuba education courses (assist and participate)
- Assisting us with packing and shipping of items sold
- Where applicable, provide foreign language translation (if this is an area of expertise)
- Maintaining office/production inventory supplies
Please remember that this a photography program and we do not require our volunteers to scuba dive. Snorkeling is available on all the activities you will participate in.
All volunteers will rotate between all phases of (non-diving) business operations. Depending on the length of your stay as a volunteer you will be involved in as many projects possible.